Do you know someone who’s doing amazing work advocating for survivors of domestic violence in our community?
Through Oct. 5, you can nominate them for the “Exceptional Advocacy Award,” which Every Woman’s Place will present at its 2019 Power of the Purse event. Every Woman’s Place–a Muskegon-based nonprofit that provides shelter, counseling and advocacy for those affected by domestic violence, sexual assault, and human trafficking–will hold this year’s Power of the Purse on Oct. 10 at Fricano Place.
The event, which includes a runway show and live auction of luxury purses modeled by prominent men in the cummunity, annually raises money for the nonprofit and survivors of domestic and sexual violence.
The Exceptional Advocacy Award aims to elevate and recognize a community member of any age, gender or affiliation who has contributed substantially to the cause of advocacy for victims and survivors of domestic assault.
Every Woman’s Place notes that “exceptional advocacy” manifests in a myriad ways, including:
- Holding a steadfast belief in the truth of victims’ stories of abuse.
- Actively countering victim-blaming with education and outreach.
- Protecting victims’ and survivors’ rights, privacy and dignity.
- Ensuring the safety and security of victims and their children.
- Engaging in the medical, legal and social arenas on behalf of victims and survivors.
- Guiding survivors’ healing journey toward empowerment.
- Responding to crisis situations with empathy and victim-centered care.
To see the award guidelines, please click here. To nominate someone, send an email to helpheal@everywoman’splace.org with your nomination by Oct. 5. For more information about Power of the Purse, including how to purchase tickets, please click here.